Grays Harbor County

Management Services Department

Risk Management Division

Hours of operation: M-F 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 pm and 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.


The Risk Management Department processes and investigates tort claims filed against Grays Harbor County, recovers for damages to County property, provides loss control strategies to reduce exposure to liability, coordinates employee safety and compliance training, manages worker’s compensation claims, and advises the County on insurance requirements, indemnification, and hold harmless provisions in County contracts. 

Risk Management Policy


Shaun Wheeler 
Risk Management

Claim for damages

Grays Harbor County is self-insured for claims of damages against the County. See RCW 4.96.020.

If you believe you have been injured by a Grays Harbor County Department or employee as to your person or property - you will need to file a tort claim with the County’s Risk Management Department.

You may obtain a copy of the claim for damages form and instructions from this website and email the claim form to:

You may also send the claim form by U.S. Mail to:

County Administration Building
Risk Management
Suite 33
100 W. Broadway
Montesano, WA 98563

If you do not have access to a printer, contact Risk Management at 360-249-4144 or email us at and a claim form will be mailed to you.

Please note that our office cannot give you legal advice and anything you send to our electronic mail or to our offices is subject to public disclosure under Chapter 42.56 RCW.


Do I have to submit a claim for damages form to make a claim?
Yes, this requirement is mandatory to start the claim process.

How long will the investigation take?
The length of time the investigation takes is dependent upon the type of claim filed. Some claims are fully resolved in several weeks, while the investigation of other claims may take a number of months. All claims are investigated through a process which may include the contact of various departments, witnesses, scene investigations, recorded statements and document review.

I filled out a report when I was involved in an incident/accident. Do I still need to file a claim form?
Yes. You must complete a claim form if you feel Grays Harbor County is responsible for your loss, injury or damages.

Should I obtain estimates for the damage to my property or automobile?
Yes. Estimates, or receipts, to support your claim may be necessary to establish your loss or damages.