Residential building permits encompass a wide range of projects including single-family residences, duplexes, town homes, accessory structures, alterations, change of use, additions, remodels, repairs, and/or grading and filling.  The permitting process for a residential project is setup in 3 STEPS and begins with STEP 1: Site Plan Review now accepted online via our permit portal (SmartGov).  We no longer accept paper applications with the exception of construction drawings.


Property Development Process


One of the first steps to planning a project is the development of an accurate site plan.  And, to develop an accurate site plan requires a certain amount of pre-planning and information gathering.  Once you have a complete and accurate site plan, you must create a SmartGov Portal Account to begin the permitting process.


When preparing to submit your application, please note that our permitting process is designed to assist the public in steps. STEP 1: Site Plan Review (SPR) will include a list of the required permits and approvals within the "Related Permits" section of your SPR application outlining how to proceed along with the necessary online applications to move forward in the process.  If your project has not received the prior step(s) approval, application(s) submitted out of order will not be reviewed until all applicable approvals have been granted.

Apply Online

What to expect when applying for Residential Building Permits -

  • Permitting staff will assist in clarifying any issues that may arise during the brief completeness review at intake to expedite the processing of your application.
  • Incomplete applications cannot be accepted. During a scheduled submittal meeting, a Permit Coordinator or Plans Examiner will go over your application packet to ensure it is complete for purposes of submittals. Please contact a Permit Coordinator to schedule a submittal meeting.
  • Payment for plan review is required at time of submittal and can be made with check or cash in office and/or by credit/debit cards through the online Portal.
  • Some applications for repairs or simple projects may be issued over the counter, while you wait (i.e. mechanical or re-roofing for example). Other applications typically require a more extensive review and timeline.
  • When your plans have been approved and the permit is ready to be issued you will be notified by a Permit Coordinator.
  • Payment of permit fee is required in full at the time of permit issuance. You can call ahead for final payment amounts. Feel free to ask questions at any time. We are happy to help you understand the process.
  • Please refer to the Property Development Process section to learn more about this process.

What about Manufactured or Mobile Homes?

Applying for placement, relocation or alteration of a manufactured or mobile home (MH)? The permitting process for a MH project is the same as a stick built structure with the exception of STEP 3 which will replaced with a Placement Permit rather than a Building Permit.  This process begins with STEP 1: Site Plan Review now accepted online via our permit portal (SmartGov).

click here for more information regarding MH's.



Still can't find what you are looking for?

Grays Harbor County
Planning & Building Division
updated 2-5-2024