Permits are required for most construction activities in the County. Below is a list of common projects that require permitting. Also, included is an inclusive list of work exempt from Building Permit requirements; though not exempt from other permitting requirements as applicable.
If your project is not described on either list or you are unsure if a permit is required, please contact a Permit Coordinator for further assistance and clarification.
BUILDING PERMIT(S) REQUIRED
|EXEMPT FROM BUILDING PERMITS
- New construction
- Changes in use to existing structures
- Alterations to existing buildings
- Repairs to existing structures
- Decks (30" or more above grade)
- Covered patios/carports
- Storage sheds (larger than 200 sf)
- Accessory structures (larger than 800 sf)
- Mechanical work (i.e. hot water heaters, propane/gas tanks, ductless heat pump, fire place, etc.)
- Utility work
- Grading and filling
- Re-roof if replacing or repairing structural components
- Work exempt per the IRC (International Residential Code)
- Work exempt per the IBC (International Building Code)
- Accessory Structures, as defined by the International Residential Code, (800 SF of less) on the same lot with a residence
- Storage sheds (200 sf or less)
- Agricultural Building (5,500 sf or less) in certain Zoning Districts
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
For more information regarding projects exempt from the permitting process, please contact the Grays Harbor County Planning and Building Division at (360) 249-4222 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still can't find what you are looking for?
Grays Harbor County