Forest Practice Permits (FPA) are administered by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for logging and other activities in forested areas.  They are generally applicable to forest lands intended to remain as forest lands.  A Forest Practice Permit can be classified as Class I, II, III, or IV.

Property harvested under a Class I, II or III Forest Practices Permit is subject to a six-year development moratorium. Development includes proposals such as subdivisions, building permits, grade and fill permits, and other land use activities. 

To enquire further about DNR requirements, please contact DNR at (360) 902-1420, or by email at


To request a release from a development moratorium, the land owner must begin the permitting process at STEP 1: Site Plan Review through the Online Permitting Portal.  As a result of STEP 1, the applicant will receive a written summary of the review findings and a list of STEP 2 permits required to move forward in the permitting process which will include SEPA Review and a Request for Development Moratorium Release at a minimum.  A complete Request for Development Moratorium Release application includes the following:

  1. A copy of the DNR Forest Practices Permit associated with the development moratorium. It is important to indicate, in detail, the land use activity for which the development moratorium release is being requested. If the development activity is the construction of a single-family home, include a site plan indicating the location of the home with respect to the harvest unit; along with,
  2. The permit processing fee indicated in the Portal related to the Forest Practices Permit application.

At the conclusion of the process, the release of development moratorium will be recorded in the Grays Harbor County Auditor’s Office.  The applicant will be responsible for the recording fees payable to the Auditor.  

Apply Online



For more information regarding the release of development moratorium process, please contact the Planning Division at (360) 249-4222 or by email at

Grays Harbor County
Planning Division
updated 11-14-2023