Basic fee structure
Licensing fees are primarily set by the legislature at the state level. Local government can also collect funding for road and transportation projects via a Transportation Benefit District (TBD) fee or Regional Transit Authority (RTA) tax.
The following elements form the primary portion of renewal fees:
- Location – Taxes and fees change as addresses cross the boundaries of city, county, or other districts. In order to ensure correct calculation, we are taking steps to verify all address against the US Postal Service’s address database. Legacy addresses for existing records might need to be manually adjusted to achieve a match.
The location address is separate from the mailing address, which is not used for rating. Some records list no address other than a post office box, and we are unable to renew until a valid address is supplied. Thank you in advance for working with us to ensure the address listed for your vehicle is as complete as possible. Don’t panic if you get a call or letter asking for more information. You did nothing wrong!
- Weight – All vehicles are assigned a weight class, even motorcycles. The weight classes are attempt to base the renewal fee structure on a vehicle's expected wear and tear to our roads.
Fees charged by a licensing subagent are the same as those charged at county offices.
Visit the DOL site for additional information, including the following topics:
- Detailed fee listing, including associated statutory authority
- Calculate your renewal tab fee
Request for fee estimate
To obtain an estimate of taxes and fees for a transfer, please email us the following information:
- Completed DOL title application
- The title, front and back
- Purchase Agreement
- Any other transaction paperwork
A quote for transfer and registration fees can be built based on the specifics contained in the above forms. If all you need is a ballpark figure, we will not need to see the forms listed above, but we will need to know key information such as purchase price and vehicle make/model/trim, your address, etc. Please include a phone number with your request.
***Please be advised that when provided with incomplete information, we may calculate a quote that turns out to be significantly different than what we calculate later when working with data from the actual paperwork.
Faxing works just as well or better. Please fax us all the pertinent paperwork and sales agreements: (360) 249 - 3330.