Special Topics in Titling

Inheriting a Vehicle

When inheriting a vehicle, use this chart to determine the documentation required for transferring the title:

Action taken with assets Documents needed for new title application
Legal Action (administered probated, court ordered) Certified letter of testamentary, Or Letter of administration Or Certificate of County Clerk TD420-041
"Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship" appears on the vehicle record and title Certified copy of DEATH CERTIFICATE
Community Property Agreement Certified copy of DEATH CERTIFICATE, and Copy of community property agreement
Estate not administered Certified copy of DEATH CERTIFICATE, and Affidavit of Inheritance (release of interest if required) Or Affidavit of Succession (optional) if the estate is under $60,000


Gifting a Vehicle

Vehicles are eligible for gifting as long as the current owner did not receive the vehicle in the same manner. When signing the title over, enter the word 'gift' as the sales price.

Sales tax on the retail value of the vehicle may be due on the transaction. 

Adding a Registered Owner

You can add registered owners by applying for a new title with the updated information. Visit the DOL site and complete the Certificate of Ownership Application form, following their instructions for either submitting the form via mail or personally appearing at a vehicle licensing office. All registered owners must sign the form, and if mailing it in, all signatures must be notarized. Complete and sign the Odometer section of the title if the vehicle is 9 years old or newer.

Deleting a Registered Owner

A registered owner can release their interest by signing their name as it appears on the title and including the date. The remaining owner(s) must submit a Certificate of Ownership Application form. Either mail the notarized form or come into a vehicle licensing office, as above. Notarize signatures if mailing. Complete and sign the Odometer section of the title if the vehicle is 9 years old or newer.

Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicles (WATV)

Mobile Homes
Mobile home title transfers can be quite complex, so questions are best answered over the phone at (360)  249 - 4232 opt. 1. Please provide us with the VIN when calling – we will need it to access the mobile home's record.

When visiting us to transfer your mobile home, please allow ample time for visiting multiple county offices. This doesn't make the best lunch errand.

The DOL website has detailed information for many other topics in titling.